Thursday, March 29, 2012

Grody... You've Been Warned.

I'm just gonna let you know right now, this is all about poop. And maybe it's gross, but someone made the mistake of asking me what we do with all the chicken poop... Bad timing. 

Right now my dad is hauling manure so I took some first hand photos. Wouldn't want to you guys to be left out. 

Just be thankful that this is not a scratch and sniff or something. I'm pretty much immune but the scent can be overwhelming to newbies. 

So, here we go. Just think of it as mud and learn something. ;) Seriously, it's not bad if you think of it as mud. 

My dad is the star of these photos.

First, we have to get the stuff out of the house. He hooks up a cable to a truck in a field for a stabilizer of sorts. Then it is hooked up to a blade in the pit (place where the poop is). Finally, it is attached to the tractor. It works as a sort of pulley system. (I'm trying to avoid gettin' to technical here) 


He drives the tractor back and forth and it pulls the stuff out. 



And it comes flying out. 


Makes a puddle.



Then he scoops it up...



...and dumps it in the spreader.



This is the spreader. 



Then he puts his earphones in and he's off. (We're high tech in this here part of the country.)



Once he is in the field... this happens.


 Things start gettin' some major air.


Don't believe me?? Watch this short clip...


Then my grandpa or my dad goes behind and discs or chisels it into the ground. Working it in... then it can provide lots of nutrients for the crops. Especially nitrogen for the corn. It really works out well for us. Saves us lots of money on fertilizer. 


Moral of the story? Don't ask me questions. 

Just kidding. I like questions! 

If you still want to be friends, it must be true friendship. 

For real though, this is a real part of our life out here. It isn't our favorite thing, but I guess I'm just used to it. 

Hope you learned something today!!

2 comments:

Courtney B said...

HA HA! You aren't the only one that talked about poop in blog land this week :) I'm surprised I still have friends after my story!
And I'm not scurrrrred! I still want to be your friend :)

Elisa said...

The flying poop is really incredible to watch- and smell :)