Monday, January 10, 2011

Initiation

My first official night on duty by myself was exciting. We started out with worship and I told the girls a little about myself and had a worship thought. Everything was going well and the girls were settling down for study hall. About 5 minutes before strict study hall 4 girls came down the stairs screaming(and laughing). Two of the girls are from Tulsa so I knew them. They came running up and proceeded to tell me that Ashley (the 3rd girl) had stepped on a toothpick and they couldn't get it out. Natalie handed me tweezers and told me to try. All I could think was, I'm gonna pass out or something... haha I sucked it up and was okay because there was no blood I guess. I tried twice to pull out the toothpick with no luck. It was in the very edge of her heel and was VERY stuck. I couldn't get a good grip with the tweezers so we found some pliers. I called my mom for any ideas of what to do and she just said, get her to calm down and you can get it out...  By the time we found pliers she had decided that I was not going to try to pull it out again so we called Gina Webb, the school nurse. We waited for about 30 minutes. This allowed for some bonding time! We talked about everything trying to distract her. Gina arrived and tried to pull it out with no success. She eventually had to numb it (she is a nurse practitioner, so she can do that) and really dig at it to get it out. I felt really bad for the girl but how in the world do you get a toothpick stuck in your foot! We had a good laugh about it at least. :)

No comments: