Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Reflections.

After my last final I have just been worn out. I knew I wanted to write about this past year but I needed to digest what I have been through. I can honestly say that this past school year has been the hardest thing I have ever done. I did things I didn't think I could do, but I have made it through and am more thankful for summer than I have ever been.
Some of my classmates say that first semester was the hardest but I think that the second semester was the worst. First semester was just an adjustment. Second semester was a lot of tough information to learn, plus I just had a lot of personal stuff going on. (read: broke up with my boyfriend)
Finals week was pretty stressful for me. Before starting vet school I had never gotten a C in my life. In fact I only had 2 or 3 B's in undergrad. The closest I ever came to a C was in biochemistry and that wasn't even that close. Vet school is a whole other story. I have gotten a few C's and am totally fine with that. I feel like I have learned so much and know the information. 
Anyway, back to stressful finals week. My physiology grade was a 74% (ugh) and I was really frustrated with it because I know that I deserve a better grade than that but I'm not even going to get into that. (teacher was a jerk. bottomline.) I studied my butt off for that test. (seriously just thinking about what he did to us is raising my blood pressure right now. ha) He gave us a horrible test with info he specifically said we didn't need to learn. (I have a note twice where he said that)  I was so afraid that I had failed the test and would fail the class. If that happened I would have to take an advancement exam and that would mean more studying before summer could start. Oh, did I mention this was the test I took on my birthday?? 
I got in my car and was just so frustrated. I listen to KLOVE most of the time. As soon as I got in my car they were talking about how God holds the script to our lives and no matter what we do he holds control. It was exactly what I needed to hear and it really gave me peace. Exactly why I listen to this station most of the time now. I'm not going to say that I didn't worry about what my grades were going to be anymore, but every time I would start getting worked up about it I would just remind myself that God was in control and there was no need to worry. 
I got my grades back yesterday and I passed all my classes. I truly think that it is a miracle. I feel like I could have done better but I can honestly say that my heart and mind were not always focused on school this semester. Yes, my GPA took a hit, (That physiology class was a 5 hour class) but that doesn't matter. All that matters now is that I pass my classes and pass the board exam at the end. 
I am so thankful to be done with the first year. I know that things are going to get better from here. I know I couldn't have done it without all the prayers and support of my family, church family, and friends. 
Let the summer fun begin!! :)

{P.S. Thank you for all the birthday wishes!! More on that later. :)}

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Congrats on finishing finals! Enjoy your summer! Obviously it's much deserved:)

Kerrie Williams said...

yay! Enjoy that summer girl. And you're right, in the end, the gpa doesn't matter. Only the degree does!

Anne said...

You should be so proud of yourself! Enjoy the summer. You really deserve it :)

Elisa said...

Good Job, Allyson! I would give you A+++++++++++++

Danielle said...

Allyson, your post on this second semester (grades and what not) mirrored my life as well....although there was no break up, Daniel shipped out right before finals week and practically all my B's went to C's...especially in phys, oh yeah! Same story, same grade! Congratulations on making it through and see you next year :)