Monday, September 19, 2011

drinking from a fire hose.

A couple of weeks into school one of my professors was giving us a pep talk and he described the first year, at least most of the first year, of vet school as "drinking from a fire hose." The first few weeks the fire hose was drowning me. It has gotten a little better but it is still so overwhelming. They fire information at us so fast, it is impossible to keep up. I had every intention of blogging lots so that I would be able to look back at it when I graduate and laugh at myself, so I'm really going to try. Those first few weeks were just totally overwhelming!

The reason I'm putting myself through this. I have to remind myself every once in awhile. 

So far I have got to castrate a goat and learned to do a physical on a cow, along with some other cattle handling concepts. It definitely helped get me refocused! This week I have to be at the hospital, to do TPR's on the in house animals, every morning at 7:15 am. Plus a physiology test, anatomy test, and physiology quiz... yikes!
My friend, Julie, is actually castrating in this picture but I did part of it. 

She was a great patient!
I'm really going to try to update this with pictures and crazy vet school stories along with stories from life in general. It should help that my internet is way faster than it is when I am at home for the summer. :)

Fun fact: My friends call me pioneer woman. haha I don't know why because we are quite opposite but maybe it's because I got them all hooked on her blog. :) I also feel really blessed to have found some genuinely good people to be friends with. It will make these next four years so much more bearable and fun. They are already asking to come out to the farm. God definitely answered that prayer for me. It was really lonely being here with no real friends.

I have a physiology test bright and early in the morning so I better get to studying!

4 comments:

Elisa said...

I am so glad you found time to share. I think my heart just exploded, I am so proud of you!

Allyson said...

aww... thanks Elisa! Miss you!

Elle said...

I couldn't help but smile at the Dr. Allyson Fisher! That's so exciting. I feel like a proud parent lol

Fisher's said...

Yeah, you had better keep a good blog or journal. I am waiting for the Allison J. Herriot Fisher book series. Stories of a country vet from the dales of Green Country.