Monday, January 14, 2013

calving trouble.

Sabbath was a very cold and yucky day! By the time we got out of church and had finished eating it was starting to drizzle. And by the time it got home it was raining/sleeting and was FREEZING! I had thought I would have time after church to get Cheyenne's blanket on her before it started raining but that didn't happen. It was just starting to really rain hard when we got home so I threw on my coveralls over my church clothes and ran to the barn to get the girls in the warm barn and get Cheyenne's blanket on. (She wears it because she can't shed water anymore so, unlike the other two, the water goes right to her skin.)

After I had the girls taken care of I headed back inside to warm up by the fire and take a nap. It was a perfect day for it. Just after I had woken up, Elisa calls me to say they had a cow that was having problems with delivery and I should come over for the excitement! I again threw on my coveralls and headed out the door. 

By the time I got there Luke was shoulder deep in the cow trying to rearrange the calf because she was breach and there was no way the momma was going to deliver on her own. She has already been working at it all day. 


After a few calls to the vet, a lot of blood, and a lot of digging around and pulling, the calf was delivered. She didn't make it but the momma was saved. I think that the umbilical cord probably got caught in the OB chain and probably ruptured. Luke and Andrew tried there best to resuscitate her though, while I relayed messages from the vet, who was on the phone.

By the time we had taken care of the dead calf and given the momma antibiotics it was sleeting and the wind was VERY cold! I went home and unthawed by the fire. We decided to just go to Pizza Hut in Bristow for supper and watch a movie. I think I went to bed at 10 o'clock. I know... I'm such a party animal! 

1 comment:

Sean Nebblett said...

Have mercy! :O Exciting times. :)