Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Protection.

 This weekend was uneventful, and for that I am very thankful. The weathermen were predicting really bad storms. Some of Oklahoma did get hit pretty bad but we were spared the worst and it was truly an answer to prayer. 

Now, you are probably saying, "well everyone is thankful when they don't get hit by a tornado!" Well, duh! But you have to understand that we are farmers and our livelihood depends on the weather. Therefore, we have to have a lot of faith that God is going to provide for us. And let me tell you, my faith has been put to the test in the past year or so. Last summer was so incredibly hot and dry! Not conducive conditions for things to grow.

This year on the other hand has been a great year for wheat. We have gotten rain when we need it and the wheat is looking really good. If we would have gotten bad weather this weekend it would have been pretty devastating. If the wheat gets hailed on, it knocks kernels onto the ground (can't be harvested) and knocks the whole plant over which makes it harder to harvest. (I'm sure my dad could add to this, but that's the gist)

When we heard there was bad weather we all started praying and hoping for the best. Friday night we got a little rain but the storms went just north of us. Saturday night there was a storm that I was sure was going to hit us, but we just got rain. I watched the weather all Saturday evening while I studied (I know, what an exciting Saturday night. ha) and watched the storm pop up and go around us. God takes care of us! 

Friday afternoon, after picking asparagus in the rain, I ran around and took some pictures of everything in case it stormed. Luke has some really pretty veggies in the garden right now, the wheat is gorgeous, and there are flowers everywhere. There is something about this spring that the flowers are really loving! I think God is showing us that He is still around after such a hard summer last year. 


Wheat is heading out.






Lots of lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, and other veggies! All with weird names that I'm not even going to try to remember. ha



Tomatoes already! 

Radishes sprouting. 






A lot of tornadoes touched down in Oklahoma and Kansas that destroyed a lot of homes and took lives but we are so thankful for God's protective hand! 

P.S. I have about a bazillion tests in the next two and a half weeks! So happy to be finishing things up though! 

5 comments:

Emily said...

Great pictures!

Sandra said...

Great pictures! It is such a blessing! Glad you guys and the farm stayed safe. Good luck with your tests!

Elle said...

Love all the pictures. For some reason I am obsessed with the lettuce heads. I want someone to frame that one photo of the single head. So pretty for a kitchen!

Unknown said...

Hello! I am a new follower! I found your button over at ElleOhvee's blog. I love your blog! I am a country girl too so its nice to find a blog I can totally relate too (:

Meredith Sledge said...

WOW. Beautiful pictures!!! Beautiful, beautiful!