Friday, April 27, 2012

Popcorn.

If you know me at all, you know that I LOVE popcorn. During the summer I eat it almost every day. I eat it as a study snack quite a bit as well. Popcorn takes me back to days at Grandma's house after she picked us up from school. The love for popcorn really runs in my family. 

I was at a lunch recently and the ladies at my table mentioned how nobody makes popcorn on the stove anymore. (I have no idea how this subject came up. ha) I sat there trying to decide if I should awkwardly say that I always make it on the stove or just ignore it and go on eating. I eventually said something and surprised them. I'm 23 and they are older ladies so you would think the conversation would be opposite.

I make popcorn on the stove. Actually everyone in my family does. I can't think of one Fisher gathering that hasn't had popcorn. We all season it a little differently but I thought I would share how we make our popcorn because it is a little different. It is so easy though! If I can do it, anyone can! 

Put a thin layer of oil in the bottom of a pot.

 I have a whirly pop thing but I couldn't find it when I made popcorn this afternoon. This works out better anyway. You can see how to do it in an everyday pot. Also, you can use whatever size pot that you have. Just depends on how much popcorn you are planning on eating. :)

Add a layer of popcorn kernels. Again, add how ever much you like. Usually, one layer is about how much the pot will hold. 


We only use Mr. Redenbacher's popping corn. It just seems to pop better and leave a lot less old maids. Does everyone else call the unpopped kernels old maids? Maybe we are just weird. 


Put the lid on and swirl the pot around a little then let it sit until you hear it start poppin'. Once it starts popping it is best to shake the pot until it stops popping. I tend to just shake it a few times but to make sure it doesn't burn just shake it. 


As soon as you don't hear anymore popping, put the popcorn in a bowl and melt some butter. However much you want. We usually add 1-2 tablespoons depending on the amount of popcorn. But if like it buttery add more. 

You can also use any kind of baking spray if you want to be a bit healthier.


Here is the different part. We season our popcorn with Nutritional Yeast Flakes. You can buy them at most health food stores. Somewhere like Whole Foods has them. Some people say that it has a little bit of a cheesy flavor but I haven't met one person who didn't like it. 

Sprinkle some on the popcorn and add some salt. You could also use garlic salt or any other seasoning you want to try! 

We are kind of stuck in a rut around here and stick to the basics. 


And it's done! It really is very easy and so yummy!


The dogs love it too!
beggers.

Seriously, try it! You will never go back to microwave popcorn. Even if you don't use the nutritional yeast flakes! 

Okay... you might but still it is our favorite snack! 

I get asked a lot about what I eat (my whole family is vegetarian) so I plan on sharing some recipes a lot more this summer. 

Happy Friday everyone and thank you for all the encouragement you have been sending my way! I am to the point of "as long as I pass, it doesn't matter." Grades aren't as big a deal now. As long as you pass the board exam. Have a happy weekend!


4 comments:

Elizabeth Justice said...

Great DIY! I am going to make myself some popcorn right now. Love your blog so so much!

tiff@thecoffeehouse said...

this is so great. my husband eats popcorn EVERY. single. night. i have got to show him this!

Emily said...

I had popcorn last night. It always reminds me of home. And yes, even in FL- I am happy to say that I ate popcorn with fellow nutritional yeast flake lovers. ;)

Amber Young said...

I am definitely going to enjoy reading your posts. I love that you're also an animal lover! I only have one four legged son but hope to add more! New follower!

www.eternally-red.blogspot.com