Tuesday, October 4, 2011

birthing center.

First off... Sunday was Jamie's wedding and I didn't get to go to the actual wedding because I worked at the Tulsa State Fair Birthing Center. I have seen a few pictures and it looks like it was just a perfect day! I'm so happy for them and wish them a very happy life together! :)

So now to the birthing center. Maybe we should add the word animal birthing center. Haha some people have got a bit confused on that. No, we did not put humans giving birth on display. :) 

Warning: There are going to be a lot of pictures in this blog but these babies were so cute and I had such a great time!

Piglets born just about an hour before this picture. So cute!
"Please get these babies out of me!!!"

Observing, not sure what we are supposed to be doing.

Dr. Evans with a squealing piglet. They would not stop squealing so we quickly moved on to the baby goats.

Dr. O'bryan! :)

Showing off a baby piglet.

There are 5 farrowing crates. The mirrors are so that the crowd can see everything! 


Demonstrating the position the babies are in when they come out.

This goat had triplets! She just popped them right out. She was a really great momma . The vet and tech cut and tied off the umbilical cord and covered it with some iodine. 

Yes, she is eating the placenta. I know it's gross but it's a natural thing to keep prey away in the wild! 

Waiting for the sheep to give birth.



Still waiting...

Checking things out...

Too cute!

She finally popped out a black little lamb. :)

Lots of baby piglets!

They also did spay and neuters but we weren't a part of that. Have to wait until 3rd year but I think the goats were way more fun anyway.

Baby Chicks.

I had a great time! My shoulders were a little sore the next day from holding the baby goats  all afternoon. It was like holding a sleeping baby for 4 hours. The people had a lot of questions and it was a lot of fun talking about something I love. People have no idea about farm animals. Most were really interested, and I think this is a really great educational tool for the veterinary profession. It really helps show people what we do as veterinarians. 

No comments: