Wednesday, October 12, 2011

equine.

Today I had equine lab. It was just super exciting! (that's sarcasm) We had to pick up a front leg and back leg and wrap a leg. It was rough! ha Okay, I know that it is really cool to a lot of people, but I have done those things a million times. :) It is really cool to see the people who have never done something with a horse get to interact with one. I actually was the weird girl that took her camera to lab ( so did Julie so I wasn't alone) today but I didn't actually take any pics. It just wasn't that exciting. We did do some physical exam stuff that I do need to practice. Hearing different lung sounds and stuff. It was nice to be around horses though. I will definitely be riding this weekend!! The weather is just so perfect. 

During lunch I went over to the large animal hospital for rounds. They had some really unique cases so they invited us all over. It was way cool. (haha way cool? sorry) They had a show heifer that they think had stepped in a drain pipe that the cover had come off of. They think she must have got stuck and struggled to get out so she had a broken hindlimb. Her tibia was completely displaced from her tarsal bones. The radiographs were pretty crazy! (it's also really fun that I actually knew what I was looking at on those radiographs.) Anyway, they had to put her under general anesthesia then make an incision in her leg and put the bone back in place because there was a tendon or ligament keeping it from moving back on it's own. The neat part was her cast. I don't even know how to explain it but it was like a metal bar that connected to the front of her hoof, looped up over her rump and then connected to the back of her hoof with baling wire. It also looped all the way around her leg at the top. (of course I was so amazed I didn't take a pic) It was casted like normal after that. She was putting weight on it and everything. She basically just pivoted on it though. They said she can move around but it's hard to move that thing. That probably made no sense but it was really neat! 

On another note... I am done with my physiology I class, sorta! All we have to do is take our last exam next Wednesday. That means I will have finished my first class of vet school! :) It also means I don't have class in the morning. So, I only have to go to anatomy lab tomorrow afternoon and then I'm on fall break!!!! Wahoooooo! We get one day... and we have midterms next week so it won't really be a break from studying but at least I don't have to go to class on Friday. I plan to get my haircut and get a pedicure! I'm really excited. 

Moving right along, I know my blogging is really random but I just think of things as I go through my day that I think are exciting or might be entertaining to read in the future. So please bare with the randomness and the major grammar errors. I don't even read back over these things. I'm sure it's more entertaining that way. ha

p.s. if you made it through this whole post and understood what I was saying, didn't get completely bored and decide you were not reading this blog anymore... I applaud you. ha

1 comment:

Emily said...

I was just applauded! Keep writing!