Thursday, January 19, 2012

A semester of -oligies.

That may not be grammatical correct but I think you get the point. This semester has been so much better than the last one... so far. Although it seems like we are in class for forever and ever. The information is so much more interesting than last semester and much more applicable. 

1. General Pathology: the study and diagnosis of disease. This class is actually really interesting so far. Right now we are learning about different types of necrosis. (kinda gross) The teacher is a HUGE fan of rock and roll and is very entertaining. I can actually pay attention in class, and it is at 8 am! 

2. Physiology III: Right now we are studying the gut and how it works. Words can not express how much I loathe this class. Seriously, the man walks in the door and I my brain shuts down and I get in a bad mood. I'm sure part of my problem is the subject matter is pretty detail oriented and I am not super into the minute details of things but I just really am not a fan of the teacher. He makes crude comments all the time and I have a really hard time following him because he is just so scattered. (I'm not the only one who has a problem with the man) He did do something in class today that I couldn't keep from laughing but most of the time it's just annoying. I could go on and on about this class and the teacher but I wouldn't want to bore you to tears. 

3. Parasitology: Study of parasites. Now things are getting interesting... and totally DISGUSTING. I have never been a fan of worms but now that I get to look at pictures of them coming out creatures noses and other really grody pictures, I really despise them. It is something that is very practical though so it at least has that going for it. 

4. Immunology: Study of the immune system. This class is pretty interesting as well. We are learning the details of how vaccines work, why babies need colostrum, and much more. The teacher has a very strong French accent and has an abundance of veterinary related ties. (Even one with antibodies all over it) 

5. Comparative Anatomy: I had anatomy last semester, and every one knows how much I disliked that class. It was so unorganized. This class is total opposite. We know exactly what we are supposed to learn, we are dissecting a horse so it is much bigger and more fun, and we don't have to look for a bunch of tiny nerves that are almost nonexistent. 

Our pony was a bit overweight. Cleaning all that fat off really inspires me to stay fit and thin. Fat is really nasty.

Cleaning fat off our pony so that we can remove his ribs. 

Ready to cut open a heart.

That sucker is huge. I can't imagine how big it is in a full sized horse. That is why horses are so athletic. There lungs are very large as well.

Thorax is dissected.

Cleaning out the heart so we can see the valves.
This semester is going really well but It has been hard to get out of break mode and I am falling behind so I better get to studying. 

P.S. I decided not to show pics for the other classes because they are pretty yucky and would really scare  people away. :)

6 comments:

Anne588 said...

Wow, doesn't the smell make you sick? We had a class where we had to look at human corpses and I hardly learnt anything because of the smell. I only concentrated on not breathing too much and did not learn too much :)

Shari said...

The others are gross? These are gross!!! NASTY! I'm so glad you are having fun....

Allyson said...

The smell actually isn't to bad this semester. Just a little like formaldehyde... last semester was terrible though. I have had to deal with a lot worse smells so I guess I'm used to it. :)

Allyson said...

I could have posted pictures of worms coming out of people's nose or cut open intestines full of worms. Or I could have posted some pictures from necropsy's... those can be real yucky! :)

Unknown said...

Okay is it weird that a pregnant lady finds it all very interesting and I didn't even get grossed out? (But if I see the tin man from the Wizard of Oz oil his joints, I totally lose it. Who knows why? But if you find out in DVM school, let me know haha.) Anyway, I have an even grody-er (sp?) question: In the picture where you said the pony's thorax is dissected, I noticed he is perfectly stationary. Is this rigor mortis or because he has something to hold him that way?

Also, it was really neat to read the descriptions you gave of your classes. Your 1st prof sounds awesome... the rude one? Ugh. Good luck! Maybe you could take advantage of the fact that he is so scattered and distract him or something? I don't really have any ideas how though. Just an idea... ;) Good luck w/your semester!!!

Allyson said...

hehe, I'm glad you didn't get grossed out! :) As for your question, the pony is stiff from rigor mortis somewhat, but they also have hooks that are connected to chains holding them up. The hooks are just through there skin (they have a really tough hide. Before we removed there front legs they could basically stay up by themselves but now they have no front legs.

Hope that didn't gross you out. :)