Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Homeless Shelter

I'm still alive and I have lots to blog about just not a lot of time! I have been really busy the past few days and have got to do some fun stuff. I'm back at school now and am NOT excited about it. I'm pretty burnt out. Sad, I just had a break and I'm still having a hard time studying. I think it should be against school policy to have a test a day after spring break. I have one on Thursday as well but at least I have all week to study for it. Anyway, on to happier things. 

Saturday, a small group of us went to the Day Center in Tulsa. We had a really good time and it was nice to get out and do something to help people. 

{I think I need to just start every blog post off with "Warning: picture overload"}

We started the morning off by handing out a snack we had brought. I never knew that eating at 9 am was considered snack time but that's when we did it.

We made some juice and gave them all Nutrigrain bars. (We had to consider that most of them have no teeth when choosing what to bring)

I didn't bring my camera in at first so these were taken with my phone.





My mom bought Tang for us to serve. I hadn't seen this stuff in years!


 It was pretty entertaining because after the people came through and got a bar and drink they would come back through like it was a whole other day to get some extra. We didn't mind because we had plenty and eventually they figured that out and just asked for another. 



After we gave out the snack, we headed to the laundry room. They have a small clothing "store" and we spent most of our time putting clothes out and organizing them into sizes. The shelves were a mess. 

Dad and Luke. Not quite they are used to doing on mission trips but they were good sports. :)


We also put shampoo and conditioner in little ziploc baggies for one time use. They have showers there for people and they can give them small amounts of stuff to use for each shower. 


They had an assembly line going.


Lexy, Julie and I stuck with the clothes pretty much the whole time and we found some very stylish interesting things. 

The man told us to throw out anything we wouldn't wear... well that was kind of the majority of it. 

Lexy found this totally awesome, handmade sweater. The different textures that you can't see in the picture are what really made it special.
I tried to convince her to keep it for next winter... 



 I actually found these but Julie modeled them for us... aren't they awesome?!


All joking aside, we had a great time! Hopefully what little we did was helpful! 

After we finished at the shelter, we headed to Woodward park for  a picnic. It was one yummy picnic! Pretty much everything we had was homegrown and from the farm. :) (minus a few things)


Woodward Park is a gorgeous place and we spent the afternoon walking around looking at all the flowers and enjoying God's nature.


The azaleas are already starting to bloom and they are beautiful!


Cousins!


We couldn't have asked for a better day! The sun was shining and it was nice and warm! It was so nice to get out and do something for others and I felt like God returned the favor by giving us a perfect afternoon. :)

I'm linking up with Kerrie today!

Life Linkup

3 comments:

Kerrie Williams said...

awesome! You should link up with me today! This post would be perfect! So glad you had a good time! And good luck on the tests!

Amira said...

You guys have such great hearts! I have a soft spot in my heart for the homeless so it's so nice to see people giving back to this community :-)

Elisa said...

Very nice, Allyson. I don't ever consider the pictures an overload. Sorry my face looks so crazy sometimes :)