Wednesday, February 15, 2012

In His Image.



I touched on this awhile ago but it is one of those things that I realize more and more everyday. 

I grew up in a Christian home and have always believed in God. I feel like everyday I am growing closer to God and my relationship with Him is growing stronger, especially now that I am in vet school. 

We study anatomy, physiology, immunology, etc. I studied these things in undergrad but not to the extent that I am now. Studying these things has made me even more certain that there is a God and I can't help but wonder how people can believe in evolution.

Our bodies are so intricately designed and if one little thing goes wrong than we become sick or something doesn't function correctly. 

We have talked about how the immune system keeps from attacking itself and it really just comes down to one little marker. We have learned about nerves and how tiny a nerve can be but it can control a whole limb. We have talked about hormones and how one tiny thing can be unbalanced and it messes up everything else. The list goes on.

It never ceases to amaze me though when someone like my immunology professor says something like "this is the reason we still have this system because it works so well." Meaning that it hasn't evolved because it works. 

The body is such an intricate thing. How can someone believe that it evolved from a tiny bacterium or something like that? 

I started doing the YouVersion Bible in a year program and the first thing I read was Genesis 1. 

"In the begining God created the heavens and the earth." ~Genesis 1:1

I have a study Bible and the note that went a long with this verse was really neat to me. I had never thought about this and it was so simple. (Maybe some of you have and I'm just slow. ha) It says,

"In the beginning introduces the story of Creation. The universe has a beginning, because God created it out of nothing. The creation stories of ancient Near Eastern cultures usually require the gods to use preexisting material. Gen 1:1 challenges this concept by simply implying that God created- from nothing."

I found that really interesting and so cool. I started thinking about all the creation stories and evolution and how that applies to them. 

Everyday I learn something new about the body. Yes, it is about an animal but it is very similar to humans and the human body is even more intricate! 

I have learned so much in vet school already, scholastically and spiritually. It has definitely brought me closer to God. 

Happy Wednesday everybody! 

1 comment:

Denise said...

Great way to put it!